Tool needed.
g***@gmail.com
2017-03-07 08:10:40 UTC
This is a little sideways from antique radios but thought someone here might be able to help. I have a Hewlett Packard 5245L freq. counter. '60's vintage unit with nixie tubes. Worked well for many years, but has quit on me now. I have the service manual but I need the circuit board extenders in order to do any t/s work at all. I can't find the part no. of this item and an internet search turned up nothing. I realized HP hasn't made this tool since the '60's, but was hoping someone had one of these extenders they'd be willing to sell. Thanks for any time and help.

Garrett Fulton
John Robertson
2017-03-07 19:12:57 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
This is a little sideways from antique radios but thought someone here might be able to help. I have a Hewlett Packard 5245L freq. counter. '60's vintage unit with nixie tubes. Worked well for many years, but has quit on me now. I have the service manual but I need the circuit board extenders in order to do any t/s work at all. I can't find the part no. of this item and an internet search turned up nothing. I realized HP hasn't made this tool since the '60's, but was hoping someone had one of these extenders they'd be willing to sell. Thanks for any time and help.
Garrett Fulton
Generally (unless you are lucky) you will need to make your own
extender(s) using another extender that is too wide and cutting it to
the correct width. Then find the appropriate socket for the PCB under
test and solder to the top of the extender.

Keep it as short as possible to avoid noise.

Extenders are on eBay all the time. Just find one that is close. Here is
an example of one that can be cut down...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271880637316

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Terry S
2017-03-07 19:19:53 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
This is a little sideways from antique radios but thought someone here might be able to help. I have a Hewlett Packard 5245L freq. counter. '60's vintage unit with nixie tubes. Worked well for many years, but has quit on me now. I have the service manual but I need the circuit board extenders in order to do any t/s work at all. I can't find the part no. of this item and an internet search turned up nothing. I realized HP hasn't made this tool since the '60's, but was hoping someone had one of these extenders they'd be willing to sell. Thanks for any time and help.
Garrett Fulton
Garrett, I suggest you try the neonixie-l group on google groups. Someone there will have the same counter. But the odds of finding the card extender are low I would guess. If it's some sort of standard edge connector, you might be able to make one or find one from another vendor.

Terry
g***@gmail.com
2017-03-08 01:51:25 UTC
Post by Terry S
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
I posted the same request for this tool on the antique radio forum. One of the fellows there had info on a guy with an ebay store that makes extenders. Emailed him and he said he wants very much to offer the extender I'm looking for among his merchandise. Had me take some pictures and send to him and he's making it up for me soon. Thanks fellows for your input.