Anyone still make Vari-Loop (loopstick) Antenna?
Steven Swift
2005-01-30 23:04:54 UTC
I know J.W. Miller quit making the 2002 throught 2007 "Vari-Loops"
a long time ago, but I was wondering if there is a manufacturer still
making a similar item.

For those who don't remember these, they had a nice progressively wound
coil on a 0.25inch tube that could be tuned by screwing a ferrite rod
in and out of the tube. The 2002 had a Q of about 250 or so.

Thank you.

Steve.
--
Steven D. Swift, ***@eskimo.com, http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997
206.301.8986, fax 206.363.4367 Seattle, Washington 98155 USA
Bill M
2005-01-30 23:24:05 UTC
Post by Steven Swift
I know J.W. Miller quit making the 2002 throught 2007 "Vari-Loops"
a long time ago, but I was wondering if there is a manufacturer still
making a similar item.
AES has some plain jane loopstick antenna coils where you have to slide
the winding for adjustment.

-Bill
Michael Black
2005-01-30 23:37:24 UTC
Post by Bill M
Post by Steven Swift
I know J.W. Miller quit making the 2002 throught 2007 "Vari-Loops"
a long time ago, but I was wondering if there is a manufacturer still
making a similar item.
AES has some plain jane loopstick antenna coils where you have to slide
the winding for adjustment.
And of course, there wasn't anything particularly unique about those
loopsticks, except mayb being somewhat long. It was an inductively tuned
coil, and those have always been common.

Michael
DaveM
2005-01-31 00:04:06 UTC
Post by Bill M
Post by Steven Swift
I know J.W. Miller quit making the 2002 throught 2007 "Vari-Loops"
a long time ago, but I was wondering if there is a manufacturer still
making a similar item.
AES has some plain jane loopstick antenna coils where you have to slide
the winding for adjustment.
-Bill
Ocean State Electronics has them lots cheaper at
http://www.oselectronics.com. $2.95 each at Ocean State vice $9.95 at AES
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

Bill M
2005-01-31 01:41:16 UTC
Post by DaveM
Ocean State Electronics has them lots cheaper at
http://www.oselectronics.com. $2.95 each at Ocean State vice $9.95 at AES
3.95 in the 2004 AES catalog?

-Bill
DaveM
2005-02-01 02:05:02 UTC
Post by Bill M
Post by DaveM
Ocean State Electronics has them lots cheaper at
http://www.oselectronics.com. $2.95 each at Ocean State vice $9.95 at AES
3.95 in the 2004 AES catalog?
-Bill
I looked in the AES web catalog.. $9.95 was the price for the only
loopstick antenna that I saw listed. Even so, $2.95 is still cheaper....
{;>)

Stephanie Weil
2005-02-01 03:16:45 UTC
Post by DaveM
I looked in the AES web catalog.. $9.95 was the price for the only
loopstick antenna that I saw listed. Even so, $2.95 is still cheaper....
Do a search for "antenna" at the tubesandmore.com website. You'll see a
few instances of those rods. Some of them at 4$ a pop.
--
Stephanie Weil
New York City, U.S.A.
Steven Swift
2005-02-08 02:51:38 UTC
This is the guy I was looking for:

http://novatech-instr.com/scratch/2002-2007.pdf

I found out that JW Miller will still make them for $25 each, if you
order a pile. Going to make my own. The movable core was the
important thing I was looking for. I won't get the same Q, as my
machine doesn't do progressive windings, but it will be close
enough.