What kind of shoelaces should I use?
Terry S
2017-08-29 15:34:51 UTC
What kind of shoelaces should I use?

My shoes still have their original shoelaces, boots really. Now after I've worn them for a few years the laces are worn out and I need new ones.

I would like to find the exact laces but they are no longer made. The originals were made of catgut and of course getting catgut laces would be tough now. I could try and find NOS catgut laces, but I don't really have good internet access unless I go to Caribou, and the coffee is sooooo expensive there. And apparently sattelite internet doesn't work in my sky. So I get my access over telegraph lines, via Morse Code, and it's really slow. I thought you guys might be able to tell me where to find NOS catgut laces.

I don't want the cheap Chinese catgut. I want good old 'Merican catgut. If I can't find catgut, what else should I try? What about length? If I can't find the exact length, should I get longer or shorter laces? Longer might mean tripping over them, but I could at least double knot them. Shorter might make them hard to tie.

I don't like fabric laces because they don't look right in old boots. Maybe I could find leather laces. Maybe I should try to re-stuff my old cagut laces with new fabric inside. I don't think I trust fabric laces anyway, how do I know they aren't really just string painted to look like fabric? And is leather really any different than catgut?

What is the failure mode for catgut laces anyway? Has it got something to do with animal rights? How can I tell when my laces are worn out? Do they have to break? Or is just fraying enough to call them bad? What if they are just thin in spots? How thin do they have to get before I know they are bad? I tried to ohm them out but, but my meter just keeps telling me "---" which I guess means 0 ohms, they must be shorted. I'll add a resistor when I re-install.

If only one lace is worn out, should I replace both?

What is this google thing of which you speak?

I'm thinking of adding aglets to my laces. Those little things that go on the end of them and keep them from fraying. I could just buy laces with aglets, but that would be too simple. I think I'll make my own out of Jello pudding and sawdust. Can anyone point me to an article explaining how? Text only please.

How do you remove old laces anyway? Everytime I try, they get all tangled in knots. And don't even THINK about putting them back in, that could be a nightmare. Does anyone have a boot stringing diagram? Make sure it's READABLE, so when I go to 7-11 to print it out, it's legible. What's a PDF?

I plan to use PAM to help re-install the laces. It not only lubricates them, but they'll smell like butter and the dogs in the neighborhood will all love me.
Tom Biasi
2017-08-29 15:38:59 UTC
Post by Terry S
What kind of shoelaces should I use?
SNIP

I know there is a message in here somewhere but I'm missing it.
Foxs Mercantile
2017-09-17 06:54:09 UTC
Post by Tom Biasi
Post by Terry S
What kind of shoelaces should I use?
SNIP
I know there is a message in here somewhere but I'm missing it.
I know exactly who he's talking about.

Funny as Hell.
Thanks Terry.
--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
http://www.foxsmercantile.com
Peter Wieck
2017-08-29 16:41:45 UTC
Brilliant, sadly. Follow the "WalMart thread in the electroics.repair group.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Two cats are sitting on a fence, watching a tennis match. After a bit, one cat says to the other: My mother was in that racket.
philo
2017-08-30 01:46:44 UTC
Post by Terry S
What kind of shoelaces should I use?
My shoes still have their original shoelaces, boots really. Now after I've worn them for a few years the laces are worn out and I need new ones.
I would like to find the exact laces but they are no longer made. The originals were made of catgut and of course getting catgut laces would be tough now. I could try and find NOS catgut laces, but I don't really have good internet access unless I go to Caribou, and the coffee is sooooo expensive there. And apparently sattelite internet doesn't work in my sky. So I get my access over telegraph lines, via Morse Code, and it's really slow. I thought you guys might be able to tell me where to find NOS catgut laces.
American Morse code or International?

Spark gap transmitter?

Zinc tub, salt water and beer bottle capacitor?

Need more details.
John-Del
2017-08-30 14:05:06 UTC
Post by Terry S
What kind of shoelaces should I use?
Sorry Terry, those are all great questions but this is not the group for this. Nobody here gives a damn (especially Peter). All they'll do is give you advice too general to answer your questions about shoe laces. What you need is someone to take your hand and tell you exactly what you should use and how to install them.

And if Trevor Wilson offers you some shoe laces for free, don't take them as he'll have the unmitigated gall to charge you for postage.

Perhaps you should email some ham radio operators and ask them. They will not only tell you EXACTLY what you need to know to solve your shoe dilemma, but also tell you how to handle your wife (assuming you married a Dick Teaser)...

Thanks for the laugh!!
philo
2017-08-30 17:11:13 UTC
Post by John-Del
Post by Terry S
What kind of shoelaces should I use?
Sorry Terry, those are all great questions but this is not the group for this. Nobody here gives a damn (especially Peter). All they'll do is give you advice too general to answer your questions about shoe laces. What you need is someone to take your hand and tell you exactly what you should use and how to install them.
And if Trevor Wilson offers you some shoe laces for free, don't take them as he'll have the unmitigated gall to charge you for postage.
Perhaps you should email some ham radio operators and ask them. They will not only tell you EXACTLY what you need to know to solve your shoe dilemma, but also tell you how to handle your wife (assuming you married a Dick Teaser)...
Thanks for the laugh!!
I'm sure the whole thing was a joke but there is one thing I forgot to
address.

He wanted to know if he should replace both shoe laces, or only the one
that's broken.

Since he will end up with two new ones, for safety I'd suggest replacing
the broken one TWICE!