1950s Motorola AM/FM radio-phonograph
R. Scanlon
2010-06-14 03:52:51 UTC
Newbie request for help, please. My nephew in Massachusetts
has removed a 1950s Motorola AM/FM radio-phonograph from
sliders in a built-in cabinet in his house. It's not beat
up. We don't even know if it works. We don't have a model
ID, but it has an apparent serial number, 24C792542-305.
We're so ignorant that Googling hasn't been much help except
to show that there's a *lot* of interest in antique radios.
The options seem to be: 1) throw it away (that's just not
right), 2) sell it for big bucks (seems unlikely), 3) find a
collector who could use it. We'd be grateful for any
suggestions. Thanks for your time.
Ray Scanlon
Ken
They really don't sell well. If you can give it away you'll be lucky. Ken
R. Scanlon
2010-06-14 18:48:20 UTC
Post by Ken
Post by R. Scanlon
Newbie request for help, please. My nephew in Massachusetts
has removed a 1950s Motorola AM/FM radio-phonograph from
sliders in a built-in cabinet in his house. It's not beat
up. We don't even know if it works. We don't have a model
ID, but it has an apparent serial number, 24C792542-305.
We're so ignorant that Googling hasn't been much help except
to show that there's a *lot* of interest in antique radios.
The options seem to be: 1) throw it away (that's just not
right), 2) sell it for big bucks (seems unlikely), 3) find a
collector who could use it. We'd be grateful for any
suggestions. Thanks for your time.
They really don't sell well. If you can give it away you'll be lucky. Ken
Thanks, Ken. That narrows thing down very well.
Ray Scanlon
Pete Bertini
2010-06-15 03:00:29 UTC
Post by R. Scanlon
Thanks, Ken. That narrows thing down very well.
--
Ray Scanlon
I agree. I have a 1942 Zenith console with the early FM band
and I would be lucky to get $25 for it. 1950 vintage stuff doesn't
have much of a following. Hopefully you will find someone who
wants it to restore and enjoy, rather than having to junk it.

Pete
R. Scanlon
2010-06-15 14:28:27 UTC
Post by Pete Bertini
Post by R. Scanlon
Thanks, Ken. That narrows thing down very well.
--
Ray Scanlon
I agree. I have a 1942 Zenith console with the early FM band
and I would be lucky to get $25 for it. 1950 vintage stuff doesn't
have much of a following. Hopefully you will find someone who
wants it to restore and enjoy, rather than having to junk it.
Pete
That settles it, Pete - thanks. My nephew will have to hold
onto it for 50 years or so and give it to his grandchildren.
Ray Scanlon
Engineer
2010-06-15 21:36:52 UTC
Post by R. Scanlon
Post by Pete Bertini
Post by R. Scanlon
Thanks, Ken. That narrows thing down very well.
--
Ray Scanlon
I agree. I have a 1942 Zenith console with the early FM band
and I would be lucky to get $25 for it. 1950 vintage stuff doesn't
have much of a following.  Hopefully you will find someone who
wants it to restore and enjoy, rather than having to junk it.
Pete
That settles it, Pete - thanks. My nephew will have to hold
onto it for 50 years or so and give it to his grandchildren.
--
Ray Scanlon- Hide quoted text -
Even a 17th century garden implement is worth a fortune now! Of
Roger
Pete Bertini
2010-06-16 00:39:41 UTC
Post by Engineer
Even a 17th century garden implement is worth a fortune now! Of
course, it's hard to stick around that long to profit from it!
I agree, restore 1950's tube stuff and enjoy using it... just done
this with a couple of Pioneer SM-B200 stereo receivers (circa late
1950's) - the FM goes down to 80 MHz - fun! I can receive out local
TV channel 6 audio on them!
Cheers,
Roger

Canada didn't go with the HD transistion I take it?

Pete
Bill M
2010-06-16 01:30:33 UTC
Post by Engineer
Post by Engineer
Even a 17th century garden implement is worth a fortune now! Of
course, it's hard to stick around that long to profit from it!
I agree, restore 1950's tube stuff and enjoy using it... just done
this with a couple of Pioneer SM-B200 stereo receivers (circa late
1950's) - the FM goes down to 80 MHz - fun! I can receive out local
TV channel 6 audio on them!
Cheers,
Roger
Canada didn't go with the HD transistion I take it?
Pete
Coming Soon to a Province Near You!
I think the date is August 2011.