Want to add dial light to lightless AA5 radio
Add Reply
C.Copperpot
2017-07-09 22:53:56 UTC
I just re-capped a AA5 RCA Radiola 61-7 radio. It never had a dial
llight. I'd like to add one (LED or fillament type) Any ideas?
Schematic: Riders: RCA 15-52 to 15-34.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/045/M0015045.htm

Thanks
Foxs Mercantile
2017-07-09 23:35:21 UTC
Post by C.Copperpot
I just re-capped a AA5 RCA Radiola 61-7 radio. It never had
a dial light. I'd like to add one (LED or fillament type)
Any ideas?
It has a 35Z5GT for the rectifier. That has a tap for the
pilot light. Put a number 40 or 47 between pins 2 and 3.

<http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/191/3/35Z5GT.pdf>
--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

---
http://www.avg.com
c***@snyder.on.ca
2017-07-10 04:36:57 UTC
On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 15:53:56 -0700, C.Copperpot
Post by C.Copperpot
I just re-capped a AA5 RCA Radiola 61-7 radio. It never had a dial
llight. I'd like to add one (LED or fillament type) Any ideas?
Schematic: Riders: RCA 15-52 to 15-34.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/045/M0015045.htm
Thanks
Use a 120 volt light, or an LED woth the proper resistor to run
across the line, or a neon (like an NE2) again with the right resistor
across the line.
Peter Wieck
2017-07-10 12:26:07 UTC
It is all in accordance-with. Meaning do you want an OEM-style dial light, or do you want only a dial light? If the former, follow Jeff's advice. Keeping in mind that back in the day, such lamp sockets usually looked somewhat similar to this:

And had only one wire to them, the 'ground' being the chassis.

Going with an LED array has its advantages - much light, low heat and you may spread it out across the entire dial. I am not so sure of using neon lamps - they give relatively little light and are not easily visible (for that purpose) in an otherwise well-lit room.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Foxs Mercantile
2017-07-10 13:08:23 UTC
Post by Peter Wieck
It is all in accordance-with. Meaning do you want an OEM-style
dial light, or do you want only a dial light? If the former,
follow Jeff's advice.
Keeping in mind that back in the day, such lamp sockets usually
https://www.surplussales.com/Images/Bulbs-Incan-Panel/PanelMount/lmp-baybrks_1_lg.jpg
And had only one wire to them, the 'ground' being the chassis.
Actuallly, almost all of the AA5 dial light sockets were isolated
from the chassis and had two solder terminals on them.
Post by Peter Wieck
Going with an LED array has its advantages - much light, low
heat and you may spread it out across the entire dial. I am not
so sure of using neon lamps - they give relatively little light
and are not easily visible (for that purpose) in an otherwise
well-lit room.
If you look at the radio:
It has a sloped dial at the top so that it doesn't need a dial
lamp to see it.

http://www.avg.com
c***@snyder.on.ca
2017-07-10 17:26:07 UTC
<https://radioattic.com/old/sold_radios_2013/Swartout_Radiola_61-7_(1946).jpg>
It has a sloped dial at the top so that it doesn't need a dial
lamp to see it.
It does at night. In most cases the "dial light" didn't show much in
daylight, but was really nice to see if the radio was on at night, and
to know where your stations were.
Many radios did not have a "dial light" but had a "pilot light" that
WAS visible in daylight to tell you the radio was on. On the serial
string AA5 radios the "pilot light" was generally connected from line
to chassis and was very often an NE2 type bulb. The chassis on these
radios had a 50-50 chance of being "hot" when plugged in with
non-polarized cords.
C.Copperpot
2017-07-10 23:31:04 UTC
Post by Peter Wieck
Going with an LED array has its advantages - much light, low
heat and you may spread it out across the entire dial. I am not
so sure of using neon lamps - they give relatively little light
and are not easily visible (for that purpose) in an otherwise
well-lit room.
<https://radioattic.com/old/sold_radios_2013/Swartout_Radiola_61-7_(1946).jpg>
It has a sloped dial at the top so that it doesn't need a dial
lamp to see it.
So definitely don't ground it to the chassis. I need a two wire bulb
socket. I see that they sell 6.3v LED bulbs that fit into a 47 socket.
Would those work? I don't want to over heat the case.
c***@snyder.on.ca
LRDs are your friend when heat is an issue.
Foxs Mercantile
2017-07-11 01:11:20 UTC
Post by C.Copperpot
So definitely don't ground it to the chassis. I need a two wire bulb
socket. I see that they sell 6.3v LED bulbs that fit into a 47 socket.
Would those work? I don't want to over heat the case.
A #40 or #47 bulb won't over heat the case.
The big problem with over heating was with some of the "odd" ones
that used a 120 volt bulb. Almost always a 3 watt bulb and the
customer or shop would replace it with a 7 watt bulb and generate
way too much heat.

http://www.avg.com
Jim Mueller
2017-07-16 07:00:03 UTC
Post by C.Copperpot
It has a sloped dial at the top so that it doesn't need a dial lamp to
see it.
So definitely don't ground it to the chassis. I need a two wire bulb
socket. I see that they sell 6.3v LED bulbs that fit into a 47 socket.
Would those work? I don't want to over heat the case.
LED bulbs draw less current than the incandescent bulbs they replace.
That's fine for transformer operated sets but in a series set they can't
be connected in the usual way that bulbs were connected back in the day.
They won't bypass enough current around the 35Z5 heater tap and the life
of the tube will be shortened. There are ways around this but the
easiest is to use a #47 bulb connected in the same way as in other radios
that did have lights. If you want two lights, you can use a pair of
#1490 bulbs in series.
--
Jim Mueller ***@nospam.com

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with eggmen.
Then replace nospam with expressmail. Lastly, replace com with dk.
C.Copperpot
#1490 bulbs in series.
Thanks Jim. I was tempted to get some of those 6.3v LED lights used on
pinball machines. I just have to get some two wire isolated sockets
now. The ones I found in my junk parts are single wire with chassis
ground.

C.Copperpot
2017-07-11 02:09:24 UTC
Post by Foxs Mercantile
<https://radioattic.com/old/sold_radios_2013/Swartout_Radiola_61-7_(1946).jpg>
It has a sloped dial at the top so that it doesn't need a dial
lamp to see it.
Yeah, That's the radio - The one shown doesn't have original knobs
though. Since my radio isn't in super pristine condition - I still
want to add a lamp. I like to see some indication that the radio is
plugged in and the power switch works. I also have a 1950's Air King
radio with no dial light. If I can get this one going, I'll add a
light to it too.