Proton 300 Radio
a***@gmail.com
2006-12-25 19:27:53 UTC
My friend told me about a very good radio named Proton 300.
He told this radio is amazing, haves a very good sound and haves
digital AM/FM tunning. Do you know this radio ?
Caveat Lector
2006-12-25 19:34:21 UTC
On E-Bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/PROTON-AM-FM-STEREO-TUNER-PROTON-AT-300-STEREO-TUNER_W0QQitemZ9705225815QQcmdZViewItem

My favorite AM/FM Tuner is the Yamahas

Happy Hoidays -- CL
jim menning
2006-12-25 20:58:53 UTC
Post by Caveat Lector
On E-Bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/PROTON-AM-FM-STEREO-TUNER-PROTON-AT-300-STEREO-TUNER_W0QQitemZ9705225815QQcmdZViewItem
That's a component tuner.
Brian
2006-12-25 20:36:42 UTC
I have a Proton 300 and the companion 301 second speaker/amp. It sounds
terrific and at any volume level, mainly, I believe, because its
loudness compensation is so accurate. It has very deep bass for such a
small enclosure. It uses an analog tuner with digital readout. Both
units are biamplified with separate amps for the woofer and tweeter.

The FM tuner in the 300 is one of the few home units immune to HD Radio
self-noise (http://users.tns.net/~bb/hdrsn.htm).

I had to resolder a number of badly intermittent solder joints on the
PCBs. Others have reported the same.

Brian
k***@att.net
2020-07-27 00:19:10 UTC
Post by Brian
The FM tuner in the 300 is one of the few home units immune to HD Radio
self-noise (http://users.tns.net/~bb/hdrsn.htm).
I don't know why I wrote this 14 years ago! The Proton 300 is definitely NOT immune. To hear a sound sample, scroll to the very end of this page:

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/hdrsn.htm

Brian
k***@att.net

jim menning
2006-12-25 20:58:14 UTC
<***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:***@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com...
?
Post by a***@gmail.com
My friend told me about a very good radio named Proton 300.
He told this radio is amazing, haves a very good sound and haves
digital AM/FM tunning. Do you know this radio ?
http://tinyurl.com/tmaof

http://www.proton-usa.com/history.asp.htm

"In 1982, PROTON unveiled its highly acclaimed Table Radio, the P300, better known in
the market, as "The Radio," and its self powered extension speaker, the P301. These
sleek, all black products were so unique and provided such good sound that the public
quickly embraced them. The Radio received a Consumer Electronics Design and
Engineering Award and was named one of Rolling Stone magazine's top products of the
year. 1982 was also the year that PROTON taught the world there was a better way to
wake-up in the morning with the introduction of the 320 clock radio, which became
known as "The Clock Radio." Both the 300 and 320 are still benchmarks for the quality
consumer as well as the consumer electronics industry."

Here's a picture of the later 320 clock radio:

More recent R5A clock radio:

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Proton_R5A_Clock_Radio